Saturday, January 19, 2008

THE LONELY ONANISTA runner-up:
2007 Rauxa Prize for Erotic Writing

Photograph: The Virtual Typewriter Museum
Rauxa: n.
of Catalan origin


Definition: Unbridled emotion and passion; wild spontaneity; overflowing creativity and capacity for action.

To see you naked is to recall the Earth. -- Federico García Lorca

This lovely quote is part of the foundation of the Rauxa Prize, an annual award "in celebration of great erotic writing."

My little tale, The Lonely Onanista, is one of three equally-ranked runners-up for the 2007 Rauxa Prize for Erotic Writing, chosen from among many hundreds of entries.

The Rauxa Prize for Erotic Writing is given annually for an erotic short story (or novel excerpt) of "exceptional literary quality" and is judged by a select jury. All entries are read "blinded," that is, without the author's name available. Past judges have included Steve Almond, Leigh Davidson, Susannah Indigo and Bill Noble.

The winner is André Aciman, whose work I greatly admire, for an excerpt from his novel Call Me by Your Name. Although I wouldn't have minded adding the proverbial glittering tiara (it's actually a statue) to my collection of regal headgear, I am pleased that he is the recipient.

There is an additional Rauxa Prize given for erotic poetry.

I am beyond thrilled, honored to have been nominated, and delighted to be in such illustrious company for this most prestigious and important award in the world of erotic writing.

POP!

I extend my arm, full glass of Champagne in hand, and toast myself, the winners and runners-up, all!

HOORAY!



Photograph: AMEA // World Museum of Erotic Art

No comments: